Pastor: Fr. Douglas C. Robertson
Deacon: Robert Zietlow
Coordinator of Religious Education: Sarah Reischl
Director of Building & Grounds: Brian Kapanke
Director of Sacred Music: Kelli Martin
Pastoral Secretary: Sandy Sesvold
A little history…
St Leo the Great:
On September 13 1957, the most Reverend John P Tracey, Bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse announced the establishment of the new Parish at West Salem to be called The Parish of St Leo the Great. The Rev. Msgr. George A. Hammes, chancellor of the Diocese was assigned as the first pastor. The decree of the bishop was effective on November 1, 1957, which became the birthday of St. Leo’s. There were approximately 25 founding families.
Prior to this time Catholics of West Salem held membership in St Mary’s parish at Bangor and surrounding parishes.
The rectory was purchased on the outskirts of the village on Highway 16. The old rectory was relocated to 325 East Garland Street. In 1979 an annex, rectory and lower level CCD classrooms were added to the church.
The first Sunday Mass was held on November 3, 1957 in the Village theater, This practice continued until the church was built. Daily Mass was offered in the rectory basement, where a chapel had been provided.
On October 29, 1957 the ladies of the parish met and organized the Alter Society. The ladies immediately began fun raising projects for purchase of furnishing for the church.
The first religous instruction classes were held on November 9th. The classes were held in the homes of several members of the parish.